Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Pilates Comes to Healium!

Beginning Monday, 3 September, Healium will be offering Pilates classes! Please welcome Sylvia Edge-Perkins, who will be leading these classes on Mondays and Thursdays at 11.15 am.

When I was eighteen I broke my leg while ice skating, and it might be the best thing that's ever happened to me. My rehab program sparked an enduring interest in the wondrous mystery of the human body, cured me of my fear of the gym, and eventually led me to bellydance (one of the loves of my life), a fascination with posture and alignment, and Pilates as a complement to all of the above.

I was going to be an astronomer or a paleoanthropologist or a Latin teacher or a translation theorist, so I like a bit of science, a bit of theory and a lot of long Latin names.

Pilates is a movement system designed by one Joseph Pilates, German, world traveler, boxer, circus performer and all-around interesting chap. Mr. Pilates started out devising rehabilitative movement for war casualties in a British internment camp, and ended up providing cross-training for the New York Ballet. His system was constantly evolving even during his lifetime, as he continued to study and innovate.

I teach Stott Mat Pilates - I like to travel with minimal equipment! Each class starts with cultivation of the particular breathing technique used for Pilates, then moves through a warm-up series that focuses on the placement and movement of the pelvis, shoulder blades, head and neck, spine, and limbs. Further exercises build on this foundation to develop coordination, flexibility, strength and endurance.

I've seen my students gain confidence, improve posture, stand sit taller, recover from injuries and chronic pain, become stronger, and generally feel happier. I feel blessed to have been able to contribute.

No comments: